Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Personal Introduction- Prologue (Read This One First)!

Before I dive into the required stipulations of this post (as so elegantly outlined by Prof. Wall) I want to share, briefly, a few things about myself for those students who do not know and/or have had me in their class. Some of the things may/may not overlap with the required questions so please forgive me!

My name is Theodore Johnson; I am 22 years old, an Ypsilanti native, and a graduating senior here at Eastern Michigan University (EMU). I am an Aviation Management major with a concentration in Aircraft Dispatch and a minor in General Business. 

I graduated from Ypsilanti High School in 2012 as the 4th in my class (of 260 students). I had no intentions of attending EMU when I first began thinking about and applying to college during the beginning of my senior year (September 2011); I actually was torn between attending the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) and the University of Toledo (UT). However, I lost my mother unexpectedly in November of 2011, and after that I hit what seemed to be an insurmountable roadblock (at this time I had only applied to two universities). I lost all motivation for school activities, class, collegiate preparation, and ceased thinking about the future in general because I was emotionally and mentally 'stuck'. With the support of my closest friends and family, I was able to finally gather myself after 4-6 weeks of being in a deep state of morose after enduring such a traumatic loss. By this time I was entering the new year (2012) and was faced with an ultimatum: either attend college out-of-state or attend EMU so I can stay local and raise my younger brother (who was 10 at the time). Obviously, I chose the latter and I have never regretted doing so; enduring such a loss at that age helped mature my perspective/mindset, bestowed a sense of responsibility, and provided other vital life skills in an expeditious manner. That, coupled with life experiences, natural maturity, and guidance from my father, helped mold me into the person I am today.

Upon my admittance to EMU I enrolled as a Biology major with a Chemistry minor in order to align with the pre-medical concentration so I could fulfill my goal of becoming an MD/DO in the future. After the conclusion of my Emergency medical internship (facilitated by Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital), my junior year came to a close, which meant that I was finished with the medical portion of my collegiate career. However, my decision to switch my major to aviation was derived as a result of this internship and was only strengthened by the communication, advice, and personal observation(s) of the medical professionals I was in constant contact with. Long-story short, I weighed out all the pros/cons of changing majors, conferred with my father and closest friends, evaluated/analyzed my life goals, and eventually made the switch (which I am extremely elated to have done so)! Aviation has always been a strong passion of mine, but the conclusion of the medical internship empowered me to realize that I truly wanted to pursue this passion and turn it into a career first, and then attend medical school in the distant future. 

Fast-forwarding to the present academic year, I am the current Secretary of the professional international Aviation Fraternity, namely Alpha Eta Rho, Sigma Chi here at EMU as well as the VP of Health & Safety for the Epsilon Mu chapter of Theta Chi. I have only been a part of Greek Life for two years, but the experiences, people, and knowledge I have attained from joining have proved to be invaluable. This is one aspect of college that I truly wish I would have engaged in early on. However, throughout my tenure here at EMU, I have realized that in order to maximize your potential and eventual success, you must not only find yourself first, but you must also solidify your foundation, skills, and goals to be able to expand your horizon and gradually integrate yourself into the other facets offered by the collegiate environment as they require a delicate balance.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to a successful semester with you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment